Being an Australian citizen entitles you to use the phrase ‘I am Australian.’ Many Melbourne migrants choose to make Australia their permanent home, which comes with various benefits and obligations.
Becoming an Australian citizen means committing to Australia and everything it stands for. Adults who become permanent residents on or after 1 July 2007 must have lived in Australia lawfully for four years before applying for Australian citizenship.
These are some examples:
- 1 year as a permanent resident
- Absences of no longer than 12 months from Australia
- Absences from Australia of no more than three months in the twelve months before the application
The Department of Home Affairs website has a Citizenship Wizard that will help you assess if you fit the residency requirement.
How to Become an Australian Citizen?
To become an Australian citizen, you must submit a completed application form to DOHA and the appropriate cost. The department will contact you when you have submitted your application.
If your application is approved, you will be asked to participate in an Australian citizenship ceremony that includes the Citizenship Visa Australia Pledge.
There are Three Methods to obtain Citizenship Visa Australia
- By birth: If you were born in Australia and one or both of your parents are Australian citizens or permanent residents.
- By descent: If you are the child of an Australian citizen but were born in another country, you will be given Australian citizenship.
- By Grant: If you are a non-citizen of Australia, you can seek to become an Australian citizen.
Requirements of Citizenship Visa Australia
It would help if you satisfied the following conditions to get Australian citizenship:
- You are a permanent resident of Australia
- You are over the age of 16
- You have resided in Australia for four years, including a year as a permanent resident
- Have a nice personality
- Have a thorough understanding of your obligations and rights as a citizen
As an Australian citizen, you have several advantages, including:
- Voting in federal, state, or territorial elections, as well as in referendums
- Making an application for a position in the Australian Public Service or the Australian Defence Force
- Election to the House of Commons
- Obtaining an Australian passport and easily re-entering Australia
- Obtaining assistance from an Australian official while traveling abroad
- Registration of children born outside of Australia as Australian citizens by descent
All candidates must pass a citizenship exam based on their knowledge and comprehension of Australian culture, beliefs, and history. The exam will also assess the applicant’s English language skills, awareness of the obligations and advantages of being an Australian citizen, and intent to remain and work in Australia or maintain a strong relationship with the nation.
Australia has a considerable understanding of the citizenship requirements based on several successful applications. We can help you through the difficulties of the Australian immigration procedure.
The exam is crucial to ensure you can fully participate in the Australian community as a citizen and make the most of your possibilities in Australia. It fosters social bonding and successful community integration.
To take the examination, you must:
- Be a permanent resident of Australia
- During the registration procedure for the exam, you must provide proof of your identification to the department
- Allow the department to photograph you or supply your own.
You would have already benefited from living in a free and democratic society as a permanent resident of Australia. When you become an Australian citizen, you are free to live and work anywhere in the country. Understanding and dedication to the country’s and its people’s values are important to becoming an Australian citizen.